Last updated on December 9th, 2021
What is a JUUL? Do the Nicotine Salts Make It the Most Satisfying ECig?
There's no denying it, the JUUL is getting worldwide attention. Positive or negative, it has been called the most “cigalike” vape pen on the market. Nielsen reported that JUUL Labs have become the top selling vape company in the US.
Anti-vaping groups aren't happy about that because many former smokers are say that the JUUL has helped them quit smoking. Legitimate sellers will always ask for age verification.
Wired Magazine raved about it, saying the JUUL “might just be the first great e-cig”. That’s saying a lot when you consider there are thousands of vape products on the market.
There have also been other noted reviewers who raved about this little ecig.
The editor of TechCrunch said:
What I discovered, was that despite JUUL’s tiny size, it’s really satisfying…. and a powerhouse. My first puff took me by surprise.
JUUL used to come in only one nicotine strength, 5%. Wow. Most ecigs top out at 3.5% . The 50mg's is all part of the company's unique e-liquid formula that uses Nicotine Salts instead of the widely used “free-base” nicotine formula.
What Are Nicotine Salts?
JUUL's Nicotine Salts was PAX Lab's formula that was very different from the “free-base” formulas used by tobacco companies, and yes, by most e-liquid companies too.
JUUL said it used the same type of nicotine found in tobacco leaves. They add added the naturally occurring acid found in the tobacco plant giving you a “cigarette-like nicotine delivery” without the highly volatile dangers of free-base nicotine.
JUUL claimed the delivery was more stable and more concentrated. At the time, I didn’t know if it was the type of nicotine or simply the wildly high 5% concentration of nicotine in these ecigs, but you'll certainly got your nic fix without the dangers (and stink) of tobacco smoke, and apparently without free-base nicotine.
So What Is Free-Base Nicotine?
Nicotine occurs naturally in tobacco plants as either an acid or a base. The base form is called free-base nicotine. It's used in cigarettes and is volatile because it is absorbed very quickly into the lungs. Tobacco companies use ammonia to “freebase” the nicotine in smoke. Yet another good reason to give up cigarettes.
JUUL's Easy to Use Compact Design
If you're looking for portability, you'll like JUUL. The entire ecig, including the compact, safe battery is small and light weight. It kind of looks like a small USB drive.
This ecig certainly won't give you pocket bulge. Ladies will so like the fact that it fits easily into a small purse, and compared to larger vaporizers it's very discreet. Nice for vaping in public. I also like rectangular shape. Hey, it never rolls off the table.
If you're wondering if a JUUL battery has every exploded, the answer is NO. This is one of the safest ecigs you can buy.
Pop in Cartridges Called “PODS”
Instead of cartridges or tanks, the JUUL uses pre-filled flavor pods that snap into the top of the battery. The pods hold 0.7mL of e-liquid which gives you approximately 200 puffs. That's about what you get from 1 pack of cigarettes. So easy…You'll never have to mess with filling your pod.
At first, the company offered 8 pod flavors – Virginia tobacco, Classic Tobacco, Cool Mint, Menthol, Fruit Medley, Creme Brulee, Cumber and Mango.
JUUL has since removed all flavors except Tobacco and Menthol. This has been a huge disappointment for adult vapers
You Can Now Order More Flavors and Different Nicotine Levels
If you’re looking for a wider variety of pod flavors and nicotine levels, they are readily available for sale on-line. The link takes you a page that offers disposable pod vapes, and cartridges.
You can choose from scores of flavors and nic levels up to 5.0%.
JUUL Vapor FACTS, PROs and CONs
- For a small cig-alike, the JUUL has little to fault.
- You do have to get used to that first inhalation which can take you by surprise! That said, the nicotine content has been a game changer. Many smokers find this little vape pen to be one of the most effective cigarette alternatives.
- All parts of the JUUL are compliant to international and US safety and quality standards like RoHS and EMC, and undergo extensive testing and inspection.
- Vaping is a pleasure, incredibly satisfying and very stealth-like.
- If you remove the pod and pop it back too many times, it can get loose. You just have tap the top of the pod to get a better connection.
- Pods are tiny, so don't expect them to last more than 2-3 days. Of course, you may vape less with JUUL’s nicotine formula.
- The battery is easy to charge on a little USB charger, and because it's small, it charges quickly.
- Pods orders can be costly, but auto-ship programs will save you money, and you’ll get free shipping.